Can Invisalign Fix an Overbite?
An overbite is one of the most common orthodontic conditions. It occurs in the vast majority of patients who require orthodontic treatment and it can be corrected successfully.
There are a few different types of orthodontic treatment, but the two main ones are Invisalign and braces. The extent and type of your orthodontic conditions will determine which type of treatment would be best for you. Can Invisalign fix an overbite? Here’s what you need to know.
What is an Overbite?
Malocclusion is the term used in orthodontics to describe a bite that doesn’t line up correctly. In the case of an overbite, the top row of teeth extend too far beyond the lower row of teeth when you bite down. This can cause a variety of dental and oral health problems from premature wear of the teeth to headaches and jaw pain.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that consists of clear plastic retainer-like trays that you wear over your teeth, called aligners. The aligners gradually shift your teeth into a more ideal position for your oral health as well as your appearance. Invisalign includes a series of aligners that you wear for about 2 weeks each and then switch to the next in order. Once you have worn all of the aligners prescribed to you, your teeth should be in the desired position.
What Orthodontic Treatments Can Treat Overbite?
Of the two main orthodontic treatments, the following can treat overbite:
- Braces. Braces are capable of treating an overbite using metal brackets and wires to shift the teeth into position. Elastics (rubber bands) are also used to help shift the teeth and bite into proper alignment.
- Invisalign. Invisalign is capable of treating most overbites, but may not be effective in particularly severe cases. In general, Invisalign can treat mild to moderate orthodontic cases.
Benefits of Invisalign
If you’re trying to decide between Invisalign and braces, consider the following benefits of Invisalign:
- Discreet. Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible on your teeth, allowing you to straighten your teeth discreetly.
- Comfortable. The smooth flexible plastic of Invisalign aligners is comfortable and won’t irritate your cheeks, lips, and tongue the way braces can.
- Convenient. Invisalign aligners are removable for eating and cleaning your teeth, meaning no food restrictions or special dental hygiene techniques or tools are required.
- Shorter treatment time. On average, Invisalign treatment is 6 months shorter than braces treatment, but it depends on your individual case.
- Comparable in cost to braces. Invisalign and braces are comparable in cost when it comes to treatment for any individual.
- Available at many dentist’s offices. Many dentists are now offering Invisalign because the treatment requires less frequent intervention than braces that require an orthodontist’s expertise.
Is Invisalign Right For Me?
If you have an overbite or need orthodontic treatment in general, Invisalign may be an option for you. A brief evaluation can determine whether or not you are an ideal candidate for Invisalign. Call 508-653-0444 or contact us today to learn more and schedule an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign?
Does Invisalign work for everyone?
Invisalign is an effective orthodontic treatment for mild to moderate cases. Severe cases may need to be treated with braces in order to make the necessary corrections. The majority of people do not have severe cases, and there is a good chance that you may be a candidate for Invisalign.
Is Invisalign really invisible?
Invisalign is not invisible, but it is significantly less noticeable than braces. In fact, anyone who doesn’t know about it will most likely not notice that you are wearing Invisalign aligners. The clear plastic fits snugly against your teeth for a discreet look.